Monday, June 3, 2013

A (TV) marathon and my own long run

Every few weeks, the Beau and I are gifted with a Sunday where we have absolutely nothing to do - no plans, no commitments, no pressing house or wedding duties. When these Sundays roll around we do our best to enjoy them in all their lazy, responsibility-free splendor.

Yesterday was one of those Sundays.

Now, it's not very often that the plan-free Sunday is also a house-duty-free Sunday, but we hosted my book club on Saturday night and cleaned up after the party, so there was no need to do housework. Just a couple loads of laundry and we were good for the day.

The weather also cooperated with us, in that it rained on and off for most of the day so we didn't feel the least bit guilty spending the day inside, on the couches (I'm so glad we have two!), watching a TV marathon.

And no, it was not an Arrested Development marathon. Instead, we watched Orphan Black. It just so happened the season finale for Orphan Black was Saturday night and Space, the station that carries the show, ran the entire season during the day Saturday. So we PVRed all the episodes and settled in for a day of excellent TV.

What. A. Show.

Orphan Black is a sci-fi show that centres around a young woman's discovery that she is one of many clones. Who made her, where she came from, why she was made and how she can have her own biological daughter are all explored in the 10 episodes of season one and it is one hell of a story.

But while watching Orphan Black, I kept thinking about running (and not just because the characters do a lot of running, for exercise and other reasons). I wanted to keep the momentum from Friday going but I also knew what was waiting for me in my next run: 20 minutes of straight running. I had hit this point last year when I did the Couch to 5K program and I successfully ran for 20 minutes, so I was also worried about not being able to match my previous performance.

Finally, shortly after 8pm, I made up my mind: I was going for a run.

The biggest change from Friday night to Sunday night was the weather. Gone was the humidity that had helped keep the air (and my airways) warm; now I was faced with a 16-degree evening, complete with chilly breeze.

Normally that kind of temperature is what I love - perfect for walking around the neighbourhood with a coffee. But I had to run and run I did. And I made it - almost. At about the 17-minute mark, I took a 30 second walking break, then ran the remaining time. But only 30 seconds of walking. Otherwise, it was all me, all running, all success.

When I got home, the Beau was so happy and supportive about my progress and corrected me when I said that my 17 minutes of running was probably a warm-up to most people; he said that for the average person, 17 minutes of steady running was excellent and something to be proud of.

So I am proud. And I feel pretty good today, though my lungs are a little tight still from the cold last night. But because I'll be fine, it was totally worth it.

No comments: