Monday, March 12, 2012

Sleeeeeeeeeeeeep

Ugh, daylight savings. I know I should be all excited to "spring forward" and get an extra hour of daylight but this time change always kicks me HARD in the bum. And I didn't help myself on Saturday either; I was at my mom's repainting her kitchen and doing other decorative updates (including assembling Ikea furniture) and I was up until 1:30 am - which was really 2:30 am.

Add to this that I've been having trouble sleeping lately (I keep waking up in the middle of the night and sometimes say things; last night I was worried about where the cat was) and today I'm a sleepy girl. It's something that's making me more aware of the importance of good sleep and good sleeping habits.

Getting enough sleep is helpful with weight loss, as some research suggests lack of sleep can cause a spike in the hormones that make you feel hungry (WW has an article on that here). I know that I tend to crave crappier food when I'm tired plus I also lack the energy to work out so it's a double whammy. I also need to get up earlier; I've been lazy and not leaving enough time to eat breakfast at home so I've been resorting to breakfast at Tim Horton's. I'm much better off when I eat my oatmeal with blueberries than when I eat a Tim's breakfast wrap (which, when it's just egg and cheese, is only 7 points, but combined with my 2-point coffee, that's 9 points for breakfast). It's also making a dent in my wallet.

So with the time change and the advent of spring, my new challenge to myself is to regulate my sleep habits. My schedule is erratic but I want to try to go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time as often as I can. The results will only be beneficial to me, in so many ways.

No comments: