Thursday, May 26, 2011

Running math

I still haven't given up my dream of being able to run any kind of distance for a sustained period of time.  Since I'm still working on getting my lungs to keep up, I've been running intervals.  But I felt like I wasn't really getting anywhere (and not just because I was on a treadmill - baZING!), so I did some distance math and came up with the following:

1 km = 0.6 mi

Since the treadmill measures in miles and I want to be able to run a 5k, that means:

5 km = 3.0 mi

But since I'm not ready to run a full 5k without breaks, I timed myself to see how long it took to run 1 km (or 0.6 mi):

7 minutes = 0.6 mi

This means it will take me about 35 minutes to run 5k. 

Once I figured this out, I decided I should revise my intervals to reflect actually achieving something in my running, rather than just running.  So here's my running plan:

Walk 3.5 min
Run 7.0 min
Walk 3.5 min
Run 7.0 min
Walk 3.5 min
Run 7.0 min
Walk 3.5 min

The running part will have me at 3 km, which would be great.  Of course, the walking parts will not equal 0.5 km because I'll be going slower, but I'll still be getting a 35 min workout.  And with any luck those 3.5 min intervals will stop being walking and start being running...

...if I can keep breathing!

No comments: