Saturday, April 10, 2010

Was that really necessary?

Word of the day: re-dun-dant (adjective) Being in excess; exceeding what is usual or natural.

When I moved in with the man, I moved into his condo and his condo comes with a gym.  I knew I'd end up canceling my Fitness One membership because - really - who wants to lug gym clothes to work then to the gym after work, then work out and shower and get home super late, when there is a lovely gym to use four floors below one's home? 

However, I dragged my feet a bit with the cancellation and finally got around to it this past week.  I stopped by on Tuesday and this is how the exchange went:

Me: "Hi.  I need to cancel my membership."
Guy behind desk: "Do you have an appointment?"
Me: "No.  I need an appointment to cancel my membership?"
Guy: "Yes.  How about Thursday?"
Me: "Sure."
Guy: "Okay, how about 5:45 pm?"
Me: "Yes, thanks."

(I feel I should point out that Fitness One is an all-women's gym.  The guy working behind the desk on that day is also a trainer but there is also this other dude who always walks around with his blue tooth headset and ill-fitting jeans on and I laugh at him on the inside.)

So I made my appointment, which felt unnecessary but I figured they would want to ask why I was leaving, what was good about the gym, what could be improved, kind of like an exit interview.  I mean, why else would I need an appointment?

I dutifully went back on Thursday and got there about 5:47.  I told the woman behind the desk I had an appointment at 5:45 to cancel my membership.  She seemed a little unsure what to do and muttered something to the affect of, "I'm not sure where...you're a couple minutes...I guess you're not late.  Let me see who's available because I don't do cancellations."

I was once 20 minutes late for a doctor's appointment and they still had time to see me; the idea that my gym would reject me for two minutes of tardiness was momentarily mind-boggling, but since they didn't turn me away all was good.

Now, I was expecting the gym owner or manager or someone to come out and talk to me but who should appear but...the same dude who told I had spoken with on Tuesday.  And what did he do to cancel my membership?  He pulled out a sheet of paper, filled it out and had me sign it.  It took approximately 42 SECONDS to cancel my membership.  And I couldn't have done that two days ago?!?!?  Holyfuckingshit, are you SERIOUS?  Yeesh.

Oh, and the dude had bad breath. 

In the words of Tigger, ridickerous.

No comments: