Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Resolution #1: Write

Word of the day: nov-el (noun) A fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes.



I want to write a book.  I have wanted to write a book since I was in grade four and I've been thinking a lot about it lately.  What kind of book, you ask?  Well, I've got a couple young adult books bouncing around in my head, as well as ideas for a collection of short stories, a detective novel in the style of my favourite British author, the fabulous Reginald Hill (READ HIM!) and I think I could churn out a pretty tawdry Harlequin.

However, what I really need to do is write.  And by write, I mean start formulating some sentences that extend beyond random blog posts and witty Facebook status updates.  I bought a lap top a couple of years ago with the express purpose of using it for writing my many tomes but so far that has been a fail.  So I would do well to start there and who knows what might happen?

I'd also like to read Talking About Detective Fiction by P.D. James, because she's a pretty great author and because it might help light a fire under my bum and get me started on my own brilliant detective novel.

So resolution #1: Write more - and maybe write that novel.

No comments: