Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I think I can...maybe

Word of the day: re-solve (verb)  To come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine (to do something).

I never make new year's resolutions; I just say, "I resolve not to make any resolutions" and people giggle a little bit and the conversation moves on.  Do you want to know the real reason I don't make resolutions?  Because, deep down, I know I'm likely to fail out.  It's not that I don't want to follow through on my resolutions; it's just that I know I won't so I don't want to embarrass myself by making some claims that I won't see through to the end.

(I'm really bad for starting things and not finishing them or saying I'm going to do something then not followintg though.  It's not something I'm proud of; it's just who I am, for better or worse.)

Despite the fact I never make new year's resolutions, I always feel like I should make resolutions at some point in the year and try to see them through...or at least make some small lifestyle changes that will make my life overall a little bit better.  And considering I'm bored with the routine of my life right now, that might not be a bad thing.

I was also inspired to make some resolutions after reading a former classmate's blog post on the same topic.  And it just so happens that many of the things she's resolving to do, I also want to (try to) do.  So I'm going to make some resolutions.

The most important part, though, is deciding when to start these resolutions.  I've picked April 1 as my start date, for two reasons: first, because I'm moving that day and what better time to start new things than when in a new place?; and second, because April means spring is coming and bringing with it warmer weather, brighter days, greener trees and that whole notion of rebirth and new beginnings.  So it works well.

I'll list my resolutions in their own posts this week.  I'd like to aim for five, but we'll see how much I actually feel like I can resolve to do.

No comments: