Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's what I do

Word of the day: im-por-tant (adjective) Of considerable influence or authority, as a person or position.

It's a very quiet day at the office today and my last day before 11 glorious days off, but I still have a full day's work to slog through. It's not so bad though; I'm putting together price estimates for 2010 for one of the magazines I work on and it's something I love.  When combined with the peacefulness at work, it's not a bad way to spend a day.

As I was putting the numbers together, I was struck by an almost overwhelming feeling of importance because the small role I play in putting out this magazine is actually kind of a big deal.  I'm looking at the costs for 2010 and preparing to send my account team estimates that run into seven figures and that's only for the manufacturing.  Making magazines ain't cheap, that I can say for sure.

It's times like this that I really love what I do because I really see not only how much I know about print production but how much the information I provide will influence decisions made by the highers-up.  I have to be sure to catch all the small things, like blow-ins or a cover split, because missing those things can make a final invoice rather unpleasant. 

I'm not trying to inflate my own importance or anything.  I just love the feeling of knowing the seemingly mundane and often repetitive things I do on a day-to-day basis really do mean something.

No comments: