Thursday, August 27, 2009

Letter love

Word of the day: let-ter (noun) A symbol or character that is conventionally used in writing and printing to represent a speech sound and that is part of an alphabet.

I really like the word duvet. When I say it, I like to pronounce it phonetically; you know, "DOVE-et". I also really like the word rejuvenate, although I pronounce it properly.

Why do I like these seemingly unrelated words? Because they both have uv in them.

I like the fact that these words have these two letters. I like the way u and v look beside each other. I like that v is an early shape for the letter u. I like that they have this similar shape. I like that they are both near the end of the alphabet (and, as you know, appear in the alphabet as u-v) and that both are less commonly used letters.

Yes, this is a little random but I'm okay with that.

No comments: