Sunday, February 22, 2009

Live from the Kodak Theater

I don't know why I watch the Oscars every year. Sure, it's fun to look at the pretty dresses but after the various Red Carpet specials, the ceremony itself is always, well, fairly blah. Of course it would help if I'd actually seen more than two of the nominated films (I've only seen Ironman and The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger deservedly got his Oscar, complete with a very touching speech by his family).

Hugh Jackman is entertaining enough as host, but I didn't need to see Beyonce. There hasn't been a whole lot of funny in the show yet either.

Every year, I feel compelled to watch the show. I think it hearkens back to my youth, when I would beg my mom to let me stay up to watch and I'd inevitably fall asleep long before they got to the good awards but it was exciting when I was able to stay up to watch Silence of the Lambs clean up. Tonight, really, I just want Kate Winslet to win and if she doesn't, I might just walk away forever.

No comments: