Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change - it's more than just a loonie

Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States of America.

Pretty damn cool.

There were four of us crowded around a computer screen today at work, as the TV set up in the office lobby attracted FAR too many people to be able to hear or see anything. The CNN video stream was a bit choppy but we saw the important stuff. I have to say, watching Obama take the oath of office was kinda awesome. This is the first moment in history that I can remember being part of (albeit incredibly remotely) that actually inspired positive emotions.

Sure, the Berlin Wall came down in my lifetime but I was too young to understand what was going on. But some of the other things that have happened - Rwanda, 9/11, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita - landmark events for sure, but all terrible and horrific and unbelievably sad.

So to see Obama become President, to see the positive change that is happening, is uplifting and encouraging and a long time coming. But it's here.

Obama as President is my moon landing. I wasn't around when Neil Armstrong took that small step for man and giant leap for mankind and I don't know the awe and amazement that people felt watching it, but I can imagine it must have been pretty inspiring to think that we had come so far that we could put a man on the moon. And I'm feeling pretty excited and inspired by President Obama.

And a week from now, Canada will have a government again too...will that also mean more change???

No comments: