Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holidays and humbugs

I really love the Christmas season but going to visit my family in Parry Sound is always a little bittersweet. As much as I love to see my mom and dad and brother, it's the extended family that I can really do without. The problem is that I don't relate to them any more (except in the genetic sense, of course).

I've got a university degree and a post-graduate college diploma. I have worked/do work for some of the biggest publishing companies in North America, on some of the biggest accounts in North America and Canada. I live independently in Toronto and pay my own way. I'm a self-taught knitter, a rather passionate hockey fan and make a mean chocolate chip cookie. I think I've done and am doing pretty good for myself.

My family...well, they're still in Parry Sound. They have significant others, children, houses/live at home, have dropped out of post-secondary or didn't go at all. I'm not faulting any of them for the decisions they have made, but our life paths are SO DIFFERENT. And the kicker? I'm single and that seems to be the only thing that they understand. So, despite what I've accomplished, I'm told that my Prince Charming will come and my family hopes I find a good man who will take care of me.

Right. Thanks for that. It's a bit of a silver lining that, this year, I'm only going to be up there for four days.

No comments: