Monday, September 29, 2008

Word.

lit-e-ra-ti: (pl. noun, singular -ra-tus) persons of scholarly or literary attainments; intellectuals.

Word on the Street
was yesterday. I love Word on the Street. Seriously truly madly deeply love it. There's just something so exhilarating about seeing all those vendors grouped in Queen's Park but all there for the same reason: the love of printed matter. I was a little put off by Warner Bros. Nights in Rodanthe booth but no one was paying it much attention so that made me feel a bit better.

My coup of the day, though, was the purchase of Watchmen. I think I might have squealed with glee when I found it; my excitement led to a conversation with another book-lover and two other people overheard us and both promptly bought the book as well. Hurrah! I feel so proud to contribute to the book buying of others.

But Watchmen...Watchmen. I didn't know much about the book until I saw the movie trailer before The Dark Knight. Just from watching the trailer, I really didn't care if I ever knew the story because the movie looks so bloody brilliant. But then I learned more about the story and also learned that Watchmen is the only graphic novel on Time Magazine's Top 100 Novels list. (It was this fact that has inspired me to read the entire list. I start on Wednesday.)

I have also just finished rearranging my bookshelves and I'm currently gazing lovingly at my many beautiful books...so pretty...so diverse...so many still unread. But they can wait until I'm done with Time's list. The Globe and Mail is also doing a series on the 50 Greatest Books and I'm thinking that might be the next list I tackle. Must represent the Canuck opinion, right?

Oh Word on the Street, why can't you be every Sunday?

No comments: