Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympics #1: Black

O-lym-pic Games: (pl. noun) A group of modern international athletic contests held as separate winter and summer competitions every four years in a different city. In 1994 the winter games were moved ahead two years so that the winter and summer games would alternate every two years. Also called Olympics.

I love the Olympics. If I had it my way, there would be Olympic games every other month or so. But since that will never happen, I will have to settle for every two year (as I'm both a Summer Games and Winter Games junkie).

And of course, things have happened during the Games and of course, I've got a few thoughts on these things. So I've decided to devote a five blog mini-series (one blog entry per ring) to the 2008 Summer Olympics.

il-lu-sion: (noun) something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.

Usually the biggest black mark against any Olympic Games is the threat of steroids and other drug use. Now, it's really at the point where we're more surprised when fewer people are caught. But I have to say I was a little disappointed in the black marks that have arisen against the Opening Ceremonies.

The Opening Ceremonies were absolutely stunning, no question about that. The thing that got me was that some of the fireworks were pre-recorded and enhanced and the little girl who sang was actually lip-synching to the voice of another girl who wasn't pretty enough. I think the Games lose a bit of their integrity if we can't even get through the Opening Ceremonies without performance enhancement.

Up next: Red - my thoughts on Canada's team

1 comment:

sugarcoaster 袁婉君 said...

Will the yellow ring be a blog about the host country and/or its althetes? Sorry - couldn't resist =)

I heart the Olympics too and am very happy that there is wireless internet at Duff's and that CBC has nine different web streams. Awesome!!