Wednesday, May 7, 2008

One of these things is just like the other

in-di-vid-u-al-i-ty: (noun) state or quality of being individual; existence as a distinct individual

Saturday, while ambling along Queen Street, three high-school-aged girls past me. And all three of them were dressed the same. Now, I don't mean just wearing jeans and t-shirts. I mean wearing medium-blue denim short-shorts, school-logo sweatshirts and brown Uggs. All had long blonde-to-medium-brown hair. Why why WHY would you want to look exactly like the people you're with?

Being a girl and having been a teenage girl for what felt like far too long, I get the concept behind wanting to fit in and wanting to be trendy and sharing fashion sense with your friends. What I don't get is why people want to look SO MUCH like one another. Show a little individuality, please. I will readily admit that I am not the most fashion-forward person, but I am aware that pretty much anything goes in clothes these days. You like high-waisted, wide-legged pants? Wear 'em; they're in! Prefer boot-cut denim? Also in style! Pencil skirt? A-line skirt? Long skirt? Mini skirt? Why not all of the above? Whether you want to look like Kate Moss circa yesterday or Cyndi Lauper circa 1986, it pretty much all goes. Flats, wedges, stilettos, platforms, peep-toes, strappy, slip-on, lace-up...put anything on your foot and you'll be just fine.

Put on a necklace or scarf, wear dangly earrings or studs, stack on bangles or wear one silver bracelet...JUST PLEASE DO SOMETHING. But maybe this is just the small-town girl in me coming out, the girl who grew up so afraid that not wearing a Roots sweater and Gap jeans would lose her all her friends that she conformed in every way possible, the girl who can't understand that when you are free of this kind of mentality why you wouldn't want to run with it. I don't know why these three girls are bothering me so much. I mean, I see women out in groups who are all dressed very similarly and I don't care all that much. And as a teenager, the pressure to fit in is that much greater...but when it's so easy to be just a bit different, I don't understand why there isn't more individuality.

Sigh.

No comments: