Monday, April 21, 2008

Expecto Patronum!

mem - o - ry: (noun) a person, thing, event, fact, etc., remembered

Saturday night, while at a friend's house, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban came on TV. All those present being Potter fanatics, we had to watch. This, of course, is the movie where Harry learns how to conjure a Patronus to fend off the Dementors. A Patronus can only work if you think of the happiest memory you can. Being a few drinks into the evening, we began discussing what memory each of us would use for our Patronus. Here's mine:

My brother was born in January 1990, about five weeks before I turned 10. I still remember going to see my mom and him in the hospital (this was back in the day when they kept mummy and baby in the hospital beyond cutting the cord) and I got to feed him a bottle of water and fluoride. I was sitting in a chair in the corner of the hospital room, my mom was in the bed, my stepfather was talking to her and a nurse handed me this impossibly little person. My brother, Reilly, was wearing a white cotton undershirt and a white cloth diaper. He had a full head of messy blond hair and his umbilical cord was still attached and had a plastic clip on it. His head was in the crook of my left arm and I fed him a small bottle of the water and fluoride mix. Man, it was so damn cool.

No comments: