Monday, February 25, 2008

Office as vampire

hap-py: (adjective) satisfied; enjoying well-being and contentment.

I am being sucked dry.

Every day at work, the negativity is almost more than I can handle. Don’t get me wrong, my coworkers are great, but constantly I hear how all the clients are morons or idiots or wasting our time with their questions and don’t they know they’re not that important? If I pass along a message, if I pass along a phone call, if I forward an email, the first thing I hear is how it’s such a waste of time and “I don’t want to talk to her” and “Why is he phoning me? I don’t need to talk to him”.

I’m not going to sit here and make some argument about customer service and how it’s lacking, blah blah blah. My bigger issue is, why do people want to cultivate this negative attitude? Are the people I work with so insecure that they need to run down everyone else to feel better? Or is it just a bloated sense of self-importance?

All I know is that it’s wearing me down, day after day, listening to the same complaining and insults. And, no, it’s not funny. It’s not how to do business. It’s not entertaining. It’s wearing thin. It’s getting old. It’s just plain stupid. And I'm fed up.

If you don’t want to deal with people then go find a job doing data entry somewhere. Otherwise, suck it up and stop bitching to me because I’m not interested. Just do your bloody job. And if you don’t like your job description or how your boss expects you to handle things, please, by all means, here’s the door. Go work somewhere else or start your own business or do whatever you need to do so that I don’t have to deal with the pessimism and negativity.

Why is it so much to ask for a good working environment, especially when everyone around me is apparently happy with what they’re doing? I guess, deep down, they aren’t. And now, neither am I.

No comments: